Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Case for Facebook

So we hear all these stories about serial killers and other degenerates on Craigslist, MySpace and stalkers on Facebook and LinkedIn.  It all makes for dynamic reading.  My situation and eperience has been very different.  I joined Facebook primarily because a friend who had MYSPACE suggested it was more for "grown folk."  I also belonged to groups that were being disbanded by MSN, so it was a natural transition. I figured why not, although I enjoyed the anonymity illusion of MYSPACE.

The most disconcerting thing about Facebook for me was having to use my "real" name.  In retrospect, this was more about the place that I was in than anything else.  I logged in, I joined and started searching.  My life is forever richer for it.  I was able to reconnect with my college crowd and find my very best friend from high school--and she remembered me.  One of the things about Facebook is that often, you can get a perspective that you may not have gotten otherwise.  Make no mistake, there are still guys trolling for dates and weirdos too, but you can "unfriend" them and be done with it.

Facebook allowed me to meet people across the country, state and world that I can call my friends and some have done more for me than actual friends that I see in person.  I am fortunate I have family on Facebook and I have a Facebook family.  There were times and things that I have gone through, that I shared with my FB family.


You hear the horror stories about people losing jobs because of FB status updates and pics of weekend debauchery.  Well, I may be the only person who would benefit from am employer trollinng my page.  The would have to figure that I'm a quality type of woman because I keep great company.  I love family, and thanks for every time you have helped get it done.

2 comments:

  1. There's an interesting trade off-- Imagine that the Russian KGB had created and incorporated something similar to Facebook during it's heyday... through the appearance of innocent fun, the harvesting of private intel and personal information becomes completely voluntary, making the job of the secret police so much easier...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bay, at some point we are going to be surprised that something is actually PRIVATE. I think its the cost of the information age.

    ReplyDelete